View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

You know, you can be a Christian and still look at the world and know that to some degree evolution has been an ongoing process.

Having said that, yes, I believe evolution has a part in what people can eat and stay healthy. If you look at the disease rates in various ethnic cultures who now eat completely different than they originally did there's no doubt about it. Think of all of the native Americans who've developed diabetes after eating a Western diet. I believe it all stems from 'survival of the fittest'. An example of this is in South America. Many natives of South America eat very spicy food. Hot peppers act as somewhat of a preservative in foods so foods could be prepared and still eaten later. It is theorized those who didn't like the spiciness would end up with food poisoning, thus the survivors would be those who liked the peppers and passed on that gene.

No doubt about it, people do adapt and those who don't die out, which brings to mind Charles Darwin's actual theory of evolution. I can't even remember the name of the book now, but years ago I read either his biography or something else. It was extremely fascinating to learn that what I'd been taught all my life as Darwin's theories were never his own.