View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Default This would be funny if it weren't so stupid!

Read this one! It is a post from a fitness site I visit. Low Carbers are probably the vast minority there! But it goes to show how much mis-information is out there, and how many well intentioned people give really shoddy advice!

Ketones are toxins in the body that are a byproduct of the breakdown of fats and muscle as a fuel source. TO get rid of these ketones in the body, your heart will pump faster to try to remove them more efficiently. I would also expect your respiratory rate to be increased as well. THis is because ketones are acidic and to combate this, respiratory and heart rate are increased to try to reach homiostasis ( get your blood pH back where it should be.)

This is commonly seen in diabetic patients. When they dont have insulin to take the sugar into the cells, the body uses fat and muscle stores as fuel. Fat and muscle produce more waste when broken down than carbs do. THis is called diabetic ketoacidosis.

Now how this relates to more protien, not sure exactly, but i could make an educated guess and say that with a high intake of protein, your body is using that as a primary fuel sourse and ketones are building.

In a sence when you do the atkins diet, your putting your body in a ketoacidotic state, but for short periods of time your body can handle it.

Sponsored Links