#6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsGrrl
In the LC life, excercise is important for whole body wellness, strengthening joints and muscles (including the heart) to prevent injury - not for calorie burning. The Cardio workout mentality is just as wrong and detrimental to us as the low-fat myths.

Sorry, have to disagree here. I find exercise hugely important to keep Atkins going. It keeps me in Ketosis and accelerates my weight loss. While it make not be strickly necessary in the Atkins plan, calorie burning exercise is just as effective during Atkins as it is in any other diet plan.

I don't see how you can say that Cardio workouts are a myth, or detrimental to us. Cardio exercise burns off calories. It doesn't matter if those calories come from carb or fat based processes, you still need to burn them off. And while low insulin levels help prevent fat storage, they do not eliminate it. If you overeat on Atkins, you will store fat, carbs on not. I know lots of people who have gained weight on Atkins by eating way too much, especially high fat with no exercise! I have also found that high cardio exercise can break a stall. Woot to that.

brobin