View Single Post
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 17:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Becky...The sources of those links may have come from the Atkins website, but they did not do the studies that I posted, if you read the information closely. The Atkins website just happens to have a very good library of such studies. Did you read my link to the Protein Power site regarding calculating minimum protein requirements? Keep in mind...this is considered the minimum amount that you would need to keep from losing muscle instead of gaining it, so only just adequate. They also state that exceeding that amount is not a problem unless you have an existing kidney problem, in which case they still wouldn't limit you, but would monitor your kidney function a bit more closely.
For example, I'm 5' 3" tall and have a calculated lean body mass of 130 pounds. I'm considered active, so according to the Protein Power site I would need a minimum of 0.7 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass or a minimum of 91 grams of protein per day. Generally, I get between 100 and 150 grams of protein per day and have not experienced any problems or edema other than my usual water retention during my menstrual period.

Let's take Dr. Atkins ratios of 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs. On a 2,000 calorie intake that works out to 144 grams of fat, 150 grams of protein and 25 grams of carb. 2,000 too high? Let's look at 1,800 calories (the level Dr. Atkins states that most women can lose safely at): that's 130 grams of fat, 135 grams of protein and 22 grams of carb. Even at 1,500 calories, you'd still be getting 112 grams of protein following those ratios. These are levels he seems to consider "adequate" since he never considered his way of eating to be "high protein" but rather high fat instead, at least during the weight loss phases. Yes, other diet plans recommend lower protein intakes (15-20%), but studies have repeatedly shown that when protein intake is that low, a larger percentage of the weight lost comes from lean body mass and not fat because the body is taking what it needs from your own muscle tissue.

As for water intake, Dr. Atkins recommended at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water per day, or about 2 liters: http://atkins.com/helpatkins/newfaq...BeDrinking.html You might need more if you live in a hot or dry climate or are excercising strenuously and perspiring a lot.
I'd be interested in seeing what you are basing your recommendation for a gallon of water a day or more on? Quite honestly, I don't believe it's realistic especially for those who have jobs that would not allow for a bathroom break every 20-30 minutes.