View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 11:31

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Great to hear from you all and your combined wisdom. That's what these forums are about, aren't they? Combined wisdom.
I wanted to mention something to each of you, but Elizlea in particular, since she is passing through stressful moments of (hopefully very brief and inconsequential) weight gain.
Here in the US we have a hightech gadget store called Brookstone where they are now carrying body composition monitors. It's a scale by a company called Tanita that not only measures your weight, but water weight, muscle weight, fat weight, bone weight, visceral fat, etc.
Weight loss alone does not offer a clear window for perceiving what is happening. Some people do lose weight, but it's water weight, or muscle mass loss. Obviously what we're really after is a decrease in fat, since it is not active like muscle, besides being unsightly on most people. Rubenesque was cool once--but we're not Dutch ladies in the 17th century, are we?!

Maybe, Elizlea, you could find this gizmo on the internet or at a comparable store in Western Australia. It wasn't cheap (+- $US 100), but I will track the percentages and see if I can get the muscle mass to increase and decrease the fat mass over time.

In any case, you are eating wonderfully delicious and healthy foods in the right ratios and if you were very faithful to Weight Watchers you probably went through a lot of deprivation. What bugged me most about it (apart from the accounting aspect of it) was how fats are so terribly restricted--and I wasn't going to use up my valuable points just for a pat of butter! So, this Schwarzbein Principle is so doable and enjoyable!