View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/275/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Hair removal for us PCOS types

Facial hair is such a pain! I've done most of the things you mentioned in your e-mail, with the exception of waxing. My Mom used to wax and it looked so painful I told myself the razor was good enough.

The depilatories, like Nair, only broke out my skin, plucking is way too slow, painful, and I've got too much hair for it. Spent all my babysitting money in high school on electrolysis, and it didn't turn out to be permanent for me. Now, in my 50's, I'm trying laser treatment. I've only had 2 so far, so I don't know if it will work out to be permanent. For the cost, it had better be! Started with Sona, but they closed their St. Louis office after my first treatment without notifying any clients, offering to refund the pre-paid programs, or anything. Be CAREFUL about doing an expensive pre-paid program--find out up front what would happen if they close their local office, go out of business or go bankrupt. You can lose a lot of money! Luckily for me, the spa that took over Sona's location is continuing the laser treatments for Sona's former customers, which will give them as much good will with customers as Sona now has bad will.

I've got 3 more treatments to go with the laser, and I'll let you know how it works out. Some people don't find it very painful but my skin is extremely sensitive and it hurts. The treatments are quite short, however, so I don't think it's worth using any kind of local anaesthetic lotion for it.

Bottom line--PCOS is a pain, but we could have worse conditions, and life is worth living regardless. I'm just starting the low-carb approach to my diet and I'm really hoping it works for me. The 40+ year weight battle has been the worst part of it.

Cheers,
Orsemus