View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 11:40

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Scott agrees to try more smoothies for the kids and to make real macaroni and cheese. Rack up one point for the doctor, zero for diabetes.

No, one point for diabetes. The carbs in real macaroni and cheese would spike my blood sugar just as much as the boxed stuff. And food palatability/how comfortable people feel eating it, is something I consider important regardless of the eater's age. As an adult in the culture where I live I expect the freedom/resources to select and control my own food and eating and don't expect a young child to have that. If I somehow ended up in a similar situation without freedom and was offered only foods I found disgusting (maybe a care facility or something with no relatives able to smuggle in tasty stuff?) I'd feel frustrated being told to eat it or go hungry until I did. Not suggesting anyone should give in a child's whining by feeding them junk. I just like to put myself in the other person's place and imagine how I might feel in their circumstance. So I think this mom in the article is wise to recognize her kids might be grossed out by some foods (I'd hate whole wheat macaroni and cheese myself) and maybe work in some healthier options gently.