View Single Post
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 15:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
For example, on page 75 Teicholz discusses a dietary trial by Dayton et al and quotes from Dayton's paper stating: "'Was it not possible,' he asked, 'that a diet high in unsaturated fat...might have noxious effects when consumed over a period of many years? Such diets are, after all, rarities.'" This is part of a larger argument by Teicholz to paint unsaturated fats as unhealthy and potentially dangerous...

Dayton doesn't really answer this question... not according to Seth, anyways. Wish I had access to the actual paper he's talking about. But unless the intervention was over the course of "many" years, the question remains.

Dayton actually did a paper where peanut oil caused atherosclerosis in rabbits... I think I remember it being narrowed down to an effect of lectins in later papers, but I don't think it's been demonstrated to be applicable to humans.

http://circres.ahajournals.org/content/4/1/62.long

From the bunny study;

Quote:
A lag of 4 to 6 months may occur before appreciable increase in serum lipids is found in animals on the P 50 or the P50 M diets. The arterial lesions produced by the diet of ground peanuts can not be distinguished from the early lesions of rabbits fed diets rich in cholesterol. These studies again raise the question whether fat of vegetabole origin may possibly play a role in the genesis of atherosclerosis in human beings.

Assuming this is the same Dayton...

Seth says;

Quote:
Dayton actually asks that question in the beginning of the paper to kind of whet the reader's appetite, so to speak.

I doubt it. The question, taken quite seriously,

Quote:
"'Was it not possible,' he asked, 'that a diet high in unsaturated fat...might have noxious effects when consumed over a period of many years?

Is apparently one that Dayton was in the habit of asking. Hypothetical, yes, but hardly rhetorical.