Thread: People over 55
View Single Post
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 09:31

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I am 57 and losing slowly now (1/2 pound a week usually). I started with very fast weight loss -- 27 pounds in 7 weeks -- but now it's slowed down. I mostly can't have wine (special occasions are fine, but not as a regular thing... for me it stops the weight loss). But that's fine (both the slow pace and the wine) -- I see this as a permanent eating change, and it is clearly working, as the downward trend continues. Sure, I get impatient -- because I want to look better (and fit into smaller clothes) NOW -- but that's all it is -- impatience.

Two problems with diets: 1) not being able to eat foods you love and 2) feeling hunger/cravings. So my advice to anyone is find some foods and recipes you can LOVE on your plan, and eat those. Have low carb snacks on hand in case you get mid-day cravings (I don't snack a lot, but I know some people have emotional triggers, so if you have those, then it's good to have some low carb snacks on hand so you don't hit the chips or candy bars). And eat enough fat because if you do, you won't have cravings/hunger (and might not need to snack at all).

So you don't have to think of it as a diet (deprivation) with an end point. You can actually enjoy the process as the downward trend continues, no matter how slow.

My partner has got on board with this and his new hobby is searching out low carb recipes. He loves to cook, and I think he is really enjoying searching low carb forums and websites for suggestions. Eating is a real pleasure on this "diet...." it makes all the difference in the world.