View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 15:52

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
By the way, has anyone attempted switching from Atkins to a low fat diet? What were the results?

hmmm... I'm not so sure. I do know that it is hard to do both Low Carb AND Low fat - Your calories have to come from somewhere. The Zone Diet is the closet thing I can think to something along those lines. Most of the people on this forum continue a low carb WOE indefinitely. I would guess that people that give up the WOL end up not participating in the forum...

Hey, you're totally entitled to your opinion. No one here would begrudge you that. As you said, people believe what they want to believe. However, as you have never faced the same issues with your weight that the majority of us have, you're not exactly qualified on the subject. Sure, low fat may work for you, and many people like you. I know my own family, low fat works great for my dad's side. It hasn't worked for me though.

Quote:
Dr. Atkins has capitalized on this concept, by telling you that you can lose weight rapidly while still remaining healthy.

I disagree. Dr. Atkins, like most nutritionists, condones losing 1%-2% of your body weight per week. Anything else he believes is too much. So, for me 1%-2% of my body weight would be about 2 -4 lbs/week. I think that that is pretty reasonable, and healthy. Obviously those with more weight to lose than myself can lose more per week in the beginning. The "big losses" on Atkins usually come during the first induction phase and are usually attributed to water weight.

As for China, I really don't know enough about their diets to comment. I do know that soy, fish, and chicken tend to play a big role though, as do vegetables. The fact that most of China is rural and they are out all day farming probably has something to do with it also. When I mentioned the far east, I should have mentioned the Industrialized Far East, where traditional diets are being taken over by more "western" foods, and schedules are busier like in America. And in Survivor, of which I am a big fan, btw - they eat very little carbs. I'm not sure where you get that idea. THis season the tribes have been living on fish and leafy veggies, with the occasional "treat" of some rice noodles. I think that the biggest reason the survivors all waste away has more to do with starvation level calories. Based upon what I've seen they can't be eating more than 700 cals a day. I think even you would agree that that is terribly unhealthy, and no way for anyone to try to lose weight!

Quote:
High fat and high refined carbs together are the problem. Low fat and low refined carb is the solution. Yes, it takes longer to lose weight this way but it is healthier in the long run.

Quote:
I believe that a carbohydrate based diet, with low fat, will result in a lean physique as long as there is some activity involved in the person's life.

I again disgree. But that is just my, and most of the +18K members of this forum's opinion. As I've stated, I tried the high carb / low fat thing... many times in fact. For years at a time. It didn't work. Plain and simple. Everyone is different. Everyone's metabolism is different. What works for you may not (and, in fact, does not) work for me. No matter what you believe, I know this to be a fact. Would you begrudge me this WOL because it goes against your opinion - even though I've lost 25 lbs, and am stronger, and fitter, and healthier than I've been in years?