View Single Post
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 16:47

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Recent posts are very interesting to me, and somewhat have relieved my mind that if I go to the Ray Peat way of eating my blood sugars will soar, increasing my neuropathy pain, and perhaps lead to dire complications.

I have suffered extreme variable vision for several years, along with other conditions too lengthy to go into detail about. In May of 2010 I developed severe peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet (along with severe upper back pain, as in between shoulder blades and upper spine). I was unable to type at the computer, even if I could have sat and looked at the screen for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I could not hold a toothbrush for two months or so, and even holding a paperback book was very painful, and feeling the edge of a page on my fingerpads when turning a page was really extreme pain, like the fingerpads were being sliced by razor blades. Long story short, I was taking high doses of painkillers, muscle relaxants (dropped after the first couple of months) and was eventually put on Topamax. As the months passed the PN improved, but the greatest improvement was sudden and happened within just 2-3 days of going gluten free. I was able to drastically reduce my dosage of painkillers.
It was confusing because dropping gluten meant dropping all grains overnight, which also lowered my carb intake because I have so many allergies that I can't eat 99% of the commercial gluten free grain based foods sold where I live.
I began testing my blood sugar levels more often and properly, as my eye doctor had suspected diabetes or pre-diabetes, and that was eye-opening. Reading Bernstein's book and Blood sugar 101 got me to go very strict on carbs and sugars. I did find that grains and grain products, even with minimal carb counts cause my blood sugar to spike much more than Haggen Dazs ice cream in an equivalent (or even higher total carb count, I can eat nearly twice the carb count in ice cream as I can in oatmeal, rice bread, or corn tortilla with a much smaller Blood sugar increase, even when using plenty of butter with the grains). Whole milk spikes my blood sugar badly, but I do love it, no real organic here though. No cream sold here at all that doesn't have carrageenan and/or other gums, but I can get half and half without those. (I've avoided carrageenan for about 20 years because I do react to it).
But after a few weeks of very low carb, I began to experience weird effects the worst of which is/was a return of nearly total insomnia. I don't understand that. Is it a result of the Bernstein way of eating? Does the Ray Peat way of eating help with insomnia at all? I am now also experiencing some increase in neuropathy as well, possibly because the insomnia sent me into a panic, and I began messing about with my diet and supplements again.
I am also upset about PUFAs. No argument as to their harm, but I don't really like coconut oil much, maybe I should try expeller pressed instead of centrifuged. I do eat a lot of mayonnaise, and have tried over a dozen home mayo recipes, including those with a coconut/olive oil mix, and the taste of them makes ne nauseous. Maybe light olive oil would work? But isn't light olive oil supposed to be as bad as corn and soybean oils? I also eat too much deli fried chicken and other oil fried stuff.
I can't eat white potatoes because I am sensitive to all nightshades. In addition, many of the better foods Peat recommends are just not available here, even OJ is a problem. Is frozen concentrate made up with non-fluoridated water ok?
Beef can be a problem for me if eaten too frequently, so I also wondered if the porcine gelatin from Great Lakes would work as well as beef gelatin?
Sorry for the length and rambling, I got started and couldn't seem to stop.
I *think* I would like to try this way to eat, but as above have some difficulties, and also am very scared my blood sugars will soar and the neuropathy will get much worse again.
sollyb