Thread: Diverticulitis
View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 20:16

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 177/141/147 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 120%

Oh, sorry to hear that you've been hit by my nemesis, diverticulitis! I have a history of that myself. I've never been able to tag any given bout to any specific food. I had several infections in a couple of years and then went two whole years without an episode. It came back in Dec 2016, then two more infections before November 2017. I also had two or three times in the fall where I was sure I was about to have an infection, but going to lots of water, apple juice for a couple of days followed by low residue for a couple of weeks avoided an infection. As a result I spend much of last year eating lots of applesauce, mac-n-cheese, chicken, potatoes (i.e. mostly carbage) and no salads or fresh veg while recovering from bouts and/or trying to avoid new episodes. Dr said next episode I should consider surgery. (Side note: I gained 10 pounds, too.) When I went low carb in February, I decided that if I felt anything coming on I would push extra water and stay low carb, but not do fresh veg or nuts for a bit. I decided that if needed, I would do bone broths, scrambled eggs, homemade chicken soup (no noodles). I figure that even if I eventually wind up having surgery, it will be easier if I weigh less.

I thought maybe a bout was coming on about 6-7 weeks ago (during the romaine lettuce scare, I'd been using iceberg for lettuce wrap sandwiches)...I followed my plan and the next day I was fine...I didn't add back in fresh veg for a few more days and I've avoided iceberg since then (paranoid?).

I believe that for me wheat and sugar are very inflammatory (my joints quit hurting within days of eliminating them!), so I'm hopeful that continuing to stay away from them will help my gut be healthier...I do think my bouts seem to start because of some inflammation that then causes the area around a pocket to swell, trap waste in the pocket and subsequently get infected.

When looking for advice on how to eat with diverticulitis you get two answers. One is for how to eat when you are having an active infection (or feel something coming on); that is low residue: no nuts, no seeds, scrambled eggs, little bits of well cooked meats, potatoes, noodles, etc. The other is when you're well and want to stay that way; that is higher fiber good food. Doctors may or may not tell you to avoid seeds, etc, when you're well, but the current thinking is that there is not a need to avoid such things.

I've read where doctors who have performed emergency surgery for diver are asked what they found in the infected pouches and they answer "poop", i.e. nothing specific. The bigger deal is to avoid constipation as often it seems to be the first domino in the cascade of events that lead to an infection.

I hope this helps. I hope you're already feeling better.