View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 12:30

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

My biggest worry about stories like this is that they could be used to justify people's position on why bread is "a staple food and you're harming your health by not getting enough fibre, that's why it's at the bottom of the food pyramid" etc.

Yes, foods like bread are relatively high in fibre, and yes, some amount of fibre is beneficial. But it's important to have a little perspective when it comes to issues of the scale of fibre, and by that I mean I don't think it's a huge deal for most people as long as they're eating real food. Plenty of fibre in those vegetables as well, you know?

Saying we should be eating bread for the fibre is a bit like saying we should be eating lots of fruit for the antioxidants. Yes, but they're too high in sugar as well; you're effectively getting oxidants with your antioxidants.

I guess I'm just saying I see fibre as a piece of the food puzzle, but there are dangers in focusing too much on that piece at the expense of the other pieces when choosing what to eat.