View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 410/298.0/170 Male 5' 11''
BF:BF 40%, BMI 43
Progress: 47%

I am losing the weight for me, and also for my wife and daughters. I am afraid if I continue to gain - or backslide - I will end up one of those people that has the fire department coming to cut a large hole in the wall to get them out. That is one reason I didn't start until I knew I had something I could do, stick with over the long haul, and have the motivation to do whatever it takes to succeed. I met folks who kept the weight off 10 years doing this. That means this can be more than a diet. In fact if it is just a diet, you are probably doomed to failure and yo-yoing up and down constantly (or maybe just up).

Real Motivation:

To be here to see my kids grow up, my kids get married, and my kids have their own kids. Sure I want all those things, ...but the thought of someone else raising my daughters or them being fairly alone in this world (without me) is frightening to me. I want to look out for them, love them, provide for them, protect them, etc.

Same thing with my wife. I also want life insurance for them (something difficult to get presently I imagine), cause I realize I could do everything right, and I could still die before I would have planned it myself. Cancer, heart attacks, auto accidents, hemorages, strokes, ...we are all not that far from death tho we like to think we aren't.

I want to be healthier! I hate having blood sugar issues, acid reflux, high blood pressure, circulatory problems, etc and other health problems brought on by high weight. Since I have started the Low Carb way of eating I no longer have blood sugar problems or acid problems. I feel much better, and I am still long from my goal.

I want to be a better steward of my body and do a better job of managing my health. If I am healthier I can do more things than I can now, maybe live longer and better.

Like anyone overweight there are many petty indignities and problems associated with weight (social, life-wise, and otherwise). Fitting into things. Breaking things. Large size clothes (>$$$ and harder to find). Chairs. Theater seats. Airplane seats. etc. Taking up alot of space. Being pretty much out of shape and limited in activities.

But I don't hate myself. I am pretty OK being who I am right now (and who I was) and being in my own skin. I am married and 100% committed to my wife, and not really looking for anything or anyone elses approval. I don't hate mirrors or whatever.

It will be nice to lose weight, and to get into better shape. I wonder if I could possibly get into the "best shape of my life" once again? It's kindof a personal challenge for me. I think that regardless of what happens, losing weight is a good thing for me, and also for my family. And whatever I do, it is very important to me that this weight loss and way of eating is a lifelong thing - not a yo-yo, on again and off again excercise.

Seeing other people ACTUALLY DO IT gives me hope and confidence that I CAN DO IT TOO!!! Lose the weight, get into shape, be healthier, and MAINTAIN IT OVER THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!

I want there to be a BEFORE picture, and a bunch of IN-PROGRESS PICTURES, but no AFTER picture. Cause I don't want to quit this and go back to pastas, breads, rice, potatos, sugary Cokes, and all. Then bubble back on up ABOVE where I started and be starting all over again.

This is a journey, and there is no way I am going to cheat or go backwards after this much effort and forward progress. My worry is mostly about learning about nutrition, learning how to maintain this long term.

So there is my book-long answer, and you probably wanted a short paragraph.