View Single Post
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 04:30
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Well this thread is a jewel!!! I'm so glad I stumbled in. I love so many of your posts. I'm not going to try to quote everyone, but I found myself nodding my head throughout.

When I look back at my growing up years and some of the things I "discovered" I want to do the V8 head slap. I should have listened to my body earlier!! When I was in high school (70's) and decided to lose some weight I didn't follow any "diets" I just looked at what I overate and eliminated it...I called it "no breads, sweets, or starches." After college I "discovered" the original Atkins. Lost weight and felt great. Man, my life would have been so much easier if I had really gotten it. Instead I listened to the knowledgeable people in the world and ended up with a lot of years of frustration, sadness, and obesity. The absolute worst was the American Diabetes Association (I've had type 1 for 26 years). If I ruled the world, I would target them first. Until the ADA bows to the wisdom of people like Dr. Bernstein, I don't think there will be widespread support of low carb. Wouldn't that be a GIANT change? Diabetes is BIG bidness in our country.

I'm fortunate in that both my primary care and endocrinologist support my low carb. It is hard to argue with great results.

As for the surgery?.....I recommend that people do what I have done. Save your surgery bucks and body for when it will do you the most good--AFTER you've lost the weight. I am not being judgemental of people having bariatric surgery, I'm just going for efficiency. I believe most people CAN lose significant amounts of weight. (If I can do it---menopausal woman on an insulin pump--others can do it.) What we CAN'T do without surgery is get rid of large amounts of loose skin. I had a lower body lift 6 weeks ago. That was worth spending the money and going through surgery.

I don't want to think that I am an ostrich with my head in the sand refusing to hear the "wisdom" of the masses, but I am listening to my inner voice and body in regards to low carb. AND, just for the record I am turning a deaf ear to the statistics that say hardly anyone can maintain weight loss!! I think it is TOTALLY possible to do it. It may not be easy, but low carb works! We can defy statistics!

I think that may be my 3 cents worth.
Sara<><