#51   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 19:23

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I've read in numerous places (though can't cite anything at the moment) that saturated fat is only "dangerous" in the presence of carbs.

I can't let this comment go unanswered.
Saturated fat is NOT dangerous for any reason, except maybe that too much of it adds to the total caloric intake which has a price - either weight gain or slower loss. ACTUALLY, saturated fat is LESS dangerous than the "touted" omega poly unsaturated fats. The principal reason is that the double carbon bonds, that make a fat unsaturated, are less stable than the single bonds. Thus an unsaturated fat is much more likely to become "rancid" in the presence of free radicals. The rancid fat, broken fat molecules, are themselves free radicals which go off damaging things themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
High carbs plus high saturated fat can be very bad.

Principally because the high carbs raise the insulin level. This drives the blood sugar into the cells where it changes the metabolism from burning fat to burning the sugar - that your body just does NOT REALLY need. So the fat gets stored not used.

It is too late for me to get more technical since at this point I need to check my texts to be sure I have all the facts straight.

Larry