View Single Post
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 11:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I got a chance to examine the stats for the race collected on the S Health app. So much for needing to 'carb up' before a race. If this data is accurate I ran the 2nd half of the 10K faster than the first half. I ate less than 30 net carbs the day before the race and had less than 3 net carbs the morning of the race. I ate plenty of fat and sufficient protein all week. Ketones seem to power the muscles just fine in a distance race.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

About that 'fastest pace' data... I did have little spurts where I dashed ahead for a short distance to get around a clog of walkers. I'm sure that is where that fast pace came from. It was just a few yards at that pace, trust me. And I had some recovering to do after I did those little dashes.

The wave I was in and all the waves in front of me were supposed to be joggers. The walker/jogger waves and the walk-only waves started behind me. It really was frustrating to have so many walkers in front of me for those first few miles. The road was 3 lanes wide and it was still tough to get around them. Even though they were not supposed to, there were groups of walkers side-by side 3 or 4 people wide. They were hard to get around. Next year I will sign up early and pick a wave farther up in the pack. That should make for a more enjoyable race.

Life is a series of learning experiences. Now that I've done a 10K I've learned some lessons. Now I know what I can do to make the next one even more fun than this one.

That ought to do it for this race in this thread. I hope to add to this thread in the future with more stories of participation in such events in the future. I never thought I'd ever run a 10K. NOT EVER. Now it looks that I will be doing more in the future. It is a brave new world after reaching goal.