View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

I disagree. I'm a distance runner and have completed several races, including marathons, while doing low carb. It's completely possible and healthy with the necessary modifications. I suggest checking out the Active Low-Carbers forum here in the high intensity exercise threads. There are several endurance athletes present on the boards that would be more than willing to share their experience. Several of the threads deal with "bonking" or "hitting the wall" early while doing low carb, but that happens to most endurance athlete regardless of diet.

I've run over fifteen miles several times on Induction level carbs and have completed two marathons in OWL. It's entirely possible to commit to this WOL and be an athlete. There are many myths out there perpetuated by people that AREN'T actually athletes saying that athletes should not do low carb. Are they running marathons? No. Do they know how their body feels after intense, lengthy exercise on very low carb? Nope. Who are they to comment?

I encourage you to read the literature that's out there and experiment with your diet while training (if you plan on it). The advanced exercise threads on this forum are a great place to start!

Amory