View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 22:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/234/200 Male 73 imches
BF:
Progress:

I cook 6-8 standing rib roasts a year and always use the same method:

Buy or make "English Prime Rib Rub" this is key to my roasts and I won't do one without this seasoning.

I also get a small ice chest or cooler and line the bottom with a bath towel then a couple layers of paper towel then a flexible cutting board.

I like cooking 3-rib roasts - I've done as small as 2 and as large as 6 but find 3 a nice size. I have my butcher lightly trim it and tie it. I ask them not to pre-cut the rib bones off or put in a plastic thermometer. Also when you're selecting a roast, go for a rounder one instead of flat and look for good marbling.

I preheat to 450 then turn oven off and turn top broiler on. I put roast in a glass Pyrex baking dish then put under the broiler for 15 mins. I take it out and put the drippings in a bowl for Yorkshire pudding. Then I transfer roast to a cutting board in the sink and coat liberally with English Prime Rib rub. I open the oven door while I do this and once cooled, put roast back in the pan and set oven temp to 325.

It's very important to use a good thermometer. I take mine out at exactly 118 degrees. This is about medium. I transfer it to the cooler and close it up. It can rest inside for a long while - at least 15 mins but up to 45.

Then I prepare my Yorkshire pudding. I have popover pans I like to use. Combine 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup milk, 4 eggs and pinch of salt. Put 1 tbsp of fat from roast in the bottom of each cup then heat oven to 450 and put popover pan in for 5 mins. When done, remove and fill half with batter. Put a drip pan under and put back in the oven for exactly 15 mins.

Enjoy