#10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-24, 06:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
No idea if boiling vegetables would affect your oxalate problem, just thought I'd throw that info out there in case you hadn't seen it before.

Thanks, and it actually came up in the Taubes diabetes book I'm reading. The animal diet allowed a certain amount of leafy carb content if it was boiled to mush and drained. I instantly recognized it as the general Midwestern attitude towards all vegetables.

But yes, that technique does work for many familiar vegetables, though in this case it was attributed to "dissolving the carb content" and after three such cycles, it probably did. And why creamed spinach was not only more palatable, the calcium in dairy buffers oxalate, too. Or, at least, that was the theory.

Oxalate avoidance could explain my childhood food practices. Though I think the food was often left to fend for itself for a while, since overcooked things dominated in some branches of the family Still, I have learned how much more oxalate we are eating in 2023, when it's picked green and stored in warehouses. My family feared green, which is dangerous in potatoes, so I still practice the skill of nudging certain things along inside a brown paper bag. If it ripens, it's safer to eat.

Turns out that was also good health advice. Call the Weston Price Foundation! At home, kidney beans were super soaked with rinses, first. Now, commercial canners don't soak them. While the heat deactivates the fast deadly toxin, it does nothing to the slow and debilitating oxalate content.

But my plant content has dwindled in type and portion size to where I only eat low oxalate greens, fruit, and squashes, none of which need special prep. I do eat shredded raw cabbage in salads, it's a low oxalate veg, and even better, sauerkraut is fermented.

I look back now and realize I got in trouble when I started doing keto with more plant food than my body could deal with. I guess I was still in a "add foods and check reaction" mode. The reaction was an autoimmune flare, which made me feel really awful.

I don't eat raspberries any more, but I've been juicing them into my coffee in the French press. Coffee has no oxalate, and many juices have none. It was a test... and yes, I can have real raspberry flavor in my coffee. It's been a month, and I think this is low oxalate way of enjoying it. Blueberries and cherries are now fun fruits, which can handle the concentration of jams.

I do smear a teaspoon of jam as far as it will go on my cream cheese, which is what I lived on this winter.

Quote:
Before modern factory butter making, cream was usually collected from several milkings and was therefore several days old and somewhat fermented by the time it was made into butter. Butter made in this traditional way (from a fermented cream) is known as cultured butter. During fermentation, the cream naturally sours as bacteria convert milk sugars into lactic acid. The fermentation process produces additional aroma compounds, including diacetyl, which makes for a fuller-flavored and more "buttery" tasting product. Wikipedia, butter

Another fermented fat is cream cheese. I craved it all winter. Apparently, fermenting improves all foods The Inuit and Sami of the far northern regions let meat and fat lie around, especially for pregnant women. Because fermenting increases digestion and beneficial nutrients, turns out. So I tried it.

And I feel good as spring approaches. All winter, I was not daunted, even if it was zero outside.

It's supposed to keep me warmer. And I really think it did!