Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 17:22
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazLaJauna
I think the point of the rungs is that you shouldn't add back some foods too early in your journey. Once you have been on the journey long enough to add back something and it isn't something that interests you then go onto the next rung! The idea is now that food is added to the acceptable list...add it or don't, it is now an option. The rungs just are a way of expanding the acceptable foods list in a slow methodical way.

^^^^^^That.
I might add it's to keep those individuals from skipping from rung 1 to rung 9 with no other rungs in between.
Quote:

Hi,
I know that I just may get slammed for giving you my opinion as its based on my SBD experience, but here goes!!
If adding in those 3 things will help you stick to your plan and won't pull you off it, I say that its a good strategy for YOU! We each need to figure ways to make the journey as real for us as possible.

Judy--don't worry, I've got your back
I do have to agree to a point with Judy's post. If adding in those 3 items keeps you on the straight and narrow, then so be it. What I would say to that is....the entire point of the carb ladder--both DANDR and NANY is that the MAJORITY of your carbs come from the veg rung. MAJORITY. With the rest of your carb allotment taken up with the further rungs. If it's yougurt, berries and nuts, then make sure that you're adding in 1 item at a time a few times a week to gauge your reaction before adding in the next new item. Also, I would start off with a very small portion of berries when you add them in. Dr. Atkins wrote in DANDR that fruit has the highest propensity to stall weight loss and induce cravings.

Quote:
If I could eat induction veggies, my yogurt, almonds and raspberries for carbs, I could easily manage the 'diet' for months. That of course does not make for a good transition to maintenance, nor does it make it for a lifestyle. But- if I could just have those three things, I could easily and patiently work my way through all the other foods in the rungs and in order...

Sure it does for some individuals. There are some who may not be able to climb to the higher rungs of the ladder either due to weight gain or intolerance. Just because they are there doesn't mean that you HAVE to eat from all the rungs. You stop at the rungs/foods that either stall weight loss or are problematic for you. PERIOD. Dr. Atkins said that you should eat from the upper rungs sparingly--particularly rung #9--wheat and grains.

One of the reasons I don't stray to far from the path...I HATE INDUCTION. Everything about it. I like the variety--of different veg, nuts, dairy, and berries. I hardly ever eat from rung 9. I rarely if ever eat from rungs 6/legumes, 7/Other fruits--sometimes I'll eat 1/4 apple or 1/2 grapefruit, 8/starchy veg--I'll occassionally eat a 1/4 roasted parsnip and 1/2 roasted red potato, and as stated above--hardly ever from rung 9/maybe a WASA. I'm never getting rid of rung 5 So I both lost and am maintaining on the first 5 rungs. While losing, strict with dairy, berries, nuts, and alcohol to about 30-40 carbs per day--my CCL. Now in maintenace I average about 40-50 carbs per day--about 1800 calories average.

Quote:
If (hypothetically) my CCM/ACE was only 40 carbs, that potentially would mean that I either a) never eat food from the rungs above 3, or b) progress through the rungs but maintain my carb count at 30-35 and proceed through the rungs- correct?

Ummmm....no. Not really. What that means is that you don't eat ALL the rungs daily. One day you may decide to have a glass of wine instead of a dairy dessert, or you may want to have yougurt with nuts and a piece of chocolate so that day you don't drink any alcohol, or you may want roasted potato and parsnips with roasted brussel sprouts with dinner, so you don't eat any nuts that day. You get the idea....You don't eat all the rungs everyday. It's about balance.

Quote:

I figured the Atkins people were sleeping or have better things to do on the weekend.

Nope, just working--a girl has to make a living!

Quote:

For once in my life I'm actually trying to lose weight instead of just being healthy and its making me crazy...

I find that many people really want to make this harder than it really is. It's not rocket science. You just need to practice patience.

JMO. HTH.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa