#8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-18, 11:03

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Okay so I watched a few more of her videos. She seems to be very negative on ketogenic diets, although her diet still seems to be moderate low-carb.

She does seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on the addictive aspects of food for people with obesity problems, and on the psychological aspects of maintenance.

One suggestion that I didn't like to hear was to keep your food bland. She did back it up with a study that showed obese people did much better with bland, tasteless food, lacking variety. Sigh, I didn't like hearing that because I really don't like bland boring food.

I'm sure part of it depends on the individual - if you're someone who will overeat anything just because it's really tasty, then perhaps more bland is better, since you won't be as inclined to overindulge in just one more serving, one more spoonful, one more bite, past the point of feeling sufficiently full. Other people may keep eating something that's not particularly tasty, waiting for some kind of magical point where the taste buds say ENOUGH! -whether it's because they're sick of the blandness, or because it's finally clear that they're not going to reach that taste-satiation level.

Of course if the carb levels are not really low enough for your particular metabolism, that can also lead to overindulgence, simply based on how your body reacts to even a small amount of carb overload.

Unfortunately, if there's no room for personalizing the diet to your carb tolerance, and how taste affects your particular appetite, then it's not going to work well for you.

I just watched a little of her video about keto and um sorry...she says BLE is lots and lots and LOTS of veggies, with only (as she said) a little protein and a little fat - that makes it simply another low calorie diet. But since I admittedly have not read in detail about the diet itself, she may be exaggerating those proportions a bit, and it may be a lot more geared towards LC than low calorie, since staying away from flour and sugar certainly would lead to a lower carb diet.

Likewise, in the video about the engagement party where there were no good BLE choices - she said there was cheese, pepperoni, and some veggies available. This may not work for everyone, but if I was at a point where I was getting hungry, and there was cheese, that's what I'd have. It doesn't even take that much cheese to hold me over for several hours - usually about 2 oz will be enough. I'd probably skip the pepperoni and veggies, because the cheese would be enough. However, if I just followed her suggestion and didn't eat, I'd likely be ravenous by the time I was out of there, and more likely to overeat whatever was readily available.