View Single Post
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 16:20

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Talking oh goodie!

I just noticed all of the extra posts in the past few minutes... I seemed to have missed a few while I was typing.

I just caught the "speed" comments, and the calorie ones.
I am in qualified agreement with you on both counts.

1) I do agree that SOME people, such as yourself for example, do hear about Atkins and start it for a "quick fix". However, that is not the majority of us. In fact, if you look around this forum a bit you will find that it's barely even a minority of the active members. As I've said before, most of us have dieted for years, we know what to expect. And a "quick fix", although it sounds good, isn't going to keep the weight off (substitue, diebetes, high cholesterol, etc) for the rest of our lives .

2) Calories in must equal less than calories out in order to lose weight. Agreed. In fact, I don't think anyone here will disagree with this fact. Because it is a fact. The point that you seem to continuously miss is that we (as in the majority of the members of this forum), tend to eat MORE calories on a low fat/ high carb diet than we do on a low carb / higher fat diet! Low carb = cravings for us. It = hunger. As I'm sure you know Hunger + Cravings = EATING. THIS is the point. This is why this WOE is so succsessful for so many of us.

There is this little chemical in our bodies called Insulin. In case you didn't know, ingestion of refined carbs, and highly glycemic foods results in the body producing insulin. This is supposed to help your body be able to process the foods that you eat. For most of us though, we are known as insulin resistant. Which means that our bodies produce more insulin that they should, which in turns means that we have cravings after eating such food, so that the excess insulin in out body will have something to do... we need more food to give the insulin it's job. however, when we eat again, it produces another insulin release, etc. etc. As you can see, it's really a viscious cycle. But, there are physiological, chemical reasons why LC works. Especially in insulin resistant people - of whom we are many more than you would think.

Feel free to do a search on insulin resistance. There are many studies, articles, and even posts in this forum to explain it better than my little summary just did.

Okay, time to hit the gym! HIIT Cardio tonight!

Have a great night everyone!
Kate