Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 15:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Toner
In reading your post again Kate, I noticed another glaring example of why people turn to Atkins. It's called speed. The question for overweight people becomes, 'why do something that's healthy when it takes longer and more discipline to accomplish when you can believe a little hype and do something totally unhealthy and get quick results?'
Strange .. I've been low-carbing for nearly 3 years. And I do make a point to eat plenty of fat. Of course, I only eat fat as it arrives from nature, not the packaged, processed or fast-food kind. In the meantime, my cholesterol has dropped from high risk category to textbook perfect numbers, including a nice rise in the protective HDL. My kidney and liver function is perfectly normal. In fact, prior to low-carbing I had elevated liver enzymes due to Accutane therapy, which I took 15 years ago for severe acne .. those levels are now normal. Before turning to low-carb, I even followed a very low fat vegan diet (McDougall) for a whole year, which did not resolve the liver problem and actually worsened my cholesterol and triglyceride levels. I also gained weight, and developed Irritable Bowel from the high volume of whole grains. Most whole grains contain anti-nutrient enzymes called phytates which even long, slow cooking can only partially de-activate.

For the record, I have never in my life been a great consumer of fast foods. As a Health Professional, I'm always careful to eat a "healthy" diet. I did not gain my weight snarfing down endless Big Macs and Snickers bars. I gained it eating whole wheat bread, skim-milk yogurt, and fat-free salad dressings.

My weight loss is not "speedy", as I have numerous chronic health conditions and medications with weight gain as a side effect. The fact that I've been successful in losing the weight I have is a bonus added to my improved health, and I anticipate continued weight loss, albeit slow, over the years to come.

Not everybody follows a low-carb plan for the "speedy" results.

Doreen
Sponsored Links