#799   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 10:44

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
I'll step in for a moment, and mention that Lutz does NOT recommend dropping carbs to very low levels, and does not even believe in the Atkins induction approach and recommends against it. He did experiment early on with very low carb levels, but settled on the 6 bread units, roughly 72 grams of starchy carbs per day, for a number of reasons mentioned in his german-langauge books.

Unfortunately his english version of Life Without Bread does not really cover that point as well, from what I recall - I loaned my english version out, so I'm going from memory of some years back.

Kwasniewski is another that doesn't recommend following under a certain level of carbs per day; I believe about 50 in his case.

You're right in that he does recommend easing down the carbs more gradually for older people and those with compromised health, but what I read (in English, yes) was that once well into the diet, he determined that below 72g simply resulted in no additional benefits, not that it was harmful. If you can remember the specific reasons for not going below 72 I'd be interested. I can't read German.

What Bear doesn't realize is that he started eating zero carb when he was in his 20s. Dr. Lutz was treating people of all ages, but many much older who were already ill or had suffered permanent damage. I don't think Atkins thought of that either. I gather he used induction to jump start the body into fat metabolism (yeilding initially quick results and hence enthusiasm about the diet), not realizing that that might not be appropriate for older or more compromised individuals.