#5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 19:21
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ahhaba:

Two years ago, my health hit rock bottom and I've been trying to attain optimal health through my diet and lifestyle. During that time, I followed Atkins to deal with what I though was hypoglycemia caused from insulin instability. I read SPI last summer and was very impressed with the book. I had always planned on switching to SPI when I thought I could tolerate the extra carbs, but her first book didn't discuss adrenal fatigue. I didn't read SPII until I started having some problems last March. I also stopped ovulating so I wanted to focus on balancing my hormones. I really connected to everything she wrote about adrenal fatigue.

It took me 2 years to find out that hypoglycemia can also be caused from adrenal fatigue since insulin, adrenaline and cortisol are closely interconnected. After reading SPII, I switched. I really enjoy the program. I'm not getting "head hunger" like I had on Atkins, I'm not bingeing on high fat foods and I'm losing weight faster, it seems. I thought I'd have carb cravings, but I haven't.

For me, my issues weren't specifically with insulin, but my adrenals, so I think that's why I'm responding better to SPII. I'm so grateful that Dr. Schwarzbein addressed the adrenal side of the equation.

This program is about living healthy and eating whole, unprocessed foods, plain and simple. Ideologically, this plan is a better fit for me. I feel at peace with it.

Wanda