View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-17, 07:07
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Remember that when you weigh more you burn more calories. I didn't track calories - just carbs - for much of my first year eating LCHF. Eating the right foods did result in a significant reduction in appetite. As Thud said, I wanted to eat less. When I did spot check how much I was eating by tracking meals for a day I found that I was eating 2800 to 3000 calories. At my weight that was still a significant calorie deficit. But as the weight came off, the weight loss slowed down. I had to work on some bad eating habits to keep the scale moving. I started tracking my food. By eliminating snacking, adding IFs to my routine, etc. the calorie averages did come down and landed at about what it should be for me at a normal, healthy weight. The scale kept moving, slowly but surely.

I find that I can easily overeat good LC food. Satiety takes a while to kick in for me. It did help me to have a carb and calorie goal. But I also worried about damage to my metabolism. I'd read about several studies that seemed to indicate that it was a fact that long-term weight loss will result in a slower metabolism - lower than what it would otherwise be at a given weight. I also read that severe calorie restriction - like those 'biggest loser' TV show folks eating 500 calories a day - might be the driving force behind that slower metabolism issue. So except on fast days I made a point to eat a normal amount of food - a volume that would sustain my life at a normal BMI. I also walked daily. I can't say if my plan of action was the reason behind it, but after 30 months of weight loss I didn't really see any issue with me having an abnormally slow metabolism. I could maintain my weight eating a typical volume of food for my size and activity level.