View Single Post
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 21:06

Plan: nothing specifically
Stats: 215/215/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default There are not dumb questions.....

Every one keeps wondering about the use of metformin/glucophage for wieghtloss even if you don't have type two diabetes or PCOS. The reality is you don't know unless you try. Why are you overwieght? There could be a number of reasons. The body is so incredibly complex. Try the metformin - if it helps you that means that part of the reason you are overwieght is because of insulin resistance - if it doesn't help then thats not your deal. and... Doctors do NOT know everything. I often times feel that after going online and resarching stuff before going to the doctor about my problem i know more then they do - it can be kind of irratating. Dont be afraid to speak up to your doctors about what you have researched - print off some articles from credible online sources to show them. Also, i see lots of people talking about the atkins diet, which makes sense given the way our bodies work if we have insulin resistance -- you might want to check out the affects of dairy -- i've read quite a bit that if you have a real insulin resistance problem you might want to avoid that as well. For me I find that near impossible! I love cheese so much. I have been diagnosed with PCOS since i was 16 - I think i have always had an issue with the way my body produces insulin - i was just looking through some old medical records -- i was only ten lbs lighter and same hieght at the age 14 -- I'm 27 now am 5'5" and wiegh about 215. I have never had a period on my own (amenorrhea). when i was in college i did some research and came across metformin and wanted to give it a try, the doc said ok but it made me really sick -- I think the problem for me was that no one ever told me to maybe try with smaller doses and work my way up -- he just prescribed a 500 mg pill in the morning and one at night... I was sicker then a dog!!!! Now, being older and wiser i started metformin back up about two weeks ago now... start with very small doses (1/4 of a 500 mg pill a day) and slowly am working my way up.... i'm now to 1/2 a pill in the morning and then one at night.... I think this is SO important for not getting sick!!! i haven't yet.... your body is adjusting to a pretty major change .... it needs to do it gradually so it doesn't get some kind of shock! I also purchased an electronic 17.00 copy of "The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility" by Nancy Dunne and Bill Slater great book with TONS of information, even if you dont have pcos but maybe diabetes run in your family or you think you might have insulin resistance. for me that book is too hard core -- there is no way i could follow it to a tee -- but, you pick up some things from it you can apply to your life and it makes you think of some things differently -- highly recommended! ....... ok, I know i've kind of been going on and on ) enough writing for tonight... I will let you guys know how it's going for me...Hopefully i will lose some wieght on this stuff this time )