View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Cool Yo, Teach!

As one who dwells in the hinterland of flyover country, I have some appreciation for what you are saying. We make a run to the city once a month to stock up on low carb food and supplements, and we are exploring using the internet to order some things.

But, the good news is that we have been more successful at this WOE because we have to plan and cook for ourselves, rather than relying upon ready made goodies, IMO.

There are great recipes on this site, and on the Atkins site, and we have two hard copy low carb recipes. Dr. Atkin's latest book and one other.

My wife has been marvelous in finding and adapting cheese cake, pie, cookie and ice cream recipes. And the only thing from the store has been soy flour and almond flour. You could make the almond flour yourself, if you can get the whole almonds. More important than the baking mixes is having lots of cream cheese, heavy cream, eggs, Splenda and the ability to cook.

She makes a dynamite pumpkin pie, with nut crust, and her biscotti are every bit as good as the ones with sugar and flour in them. All very low carb and also satisfying.

For those who can cook for themselves, I think that the bars and the bake mixes are actually a negative influence on successful LCing.

YMMV!

Keep on, keepn' on!