#7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 10:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
This is a good talk and recent with some studies referenced https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fO5aTD6JU

Thud's response will point you in the right direction related to protein. Dr. Ben Bikman is doing some very interesting research that supports increasing protein with no negative effects for people following a LCHF WOE. I encourage anyone who has questions about the role of protein to watch this video.

I, too, have increased my daily protein amount over the past several months. I follow a very strict ketogenic approach and limit my carbs in favor of protein and fat. Because I feel better when I'm in ketosis, I measure my blood ketone levels whenever I make changes to see what happens with ketone production. Moderately increasing my daily protein didn't change anything, so I know I have a good amount of leeway in this area, and Bikman's research supports this approach. There seems to be an argument that once one's protein consumption gets higher, corresponding gluconeogenesis produces glucose that reduces or eliminates ketone production. While each person may respond differently, I would need to eat a lot of protein to knock me out of being a fat burner. The other finding is that as people get older, increasing protein is beneficial, and I'm a poster child for that philosophy as well. I strongly believe that once one is fat adapted over several months, the metabolism easily maintains the ability to use fat as primary fuel.