Thread: Peanuts!
View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-14, 10:08

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I find it helps to buy peanuts in the shell, and during autumn, other nuts can be purchased in shell. Shelling slows down the consumption, and that lets me control the portion more.

Still I have to be strong and pre-portion how much I'm going to eat. I take out the portion and put the rest away before I start eating. And when I'm done, I have to be strong not to have another portion.

Another food I have to be careful with is cheese.

There are two great flavors, sugar and fat/oil. Since I gave up sugar, "the flavor is in the fat".

And even before that. what did I like most about Popcorn? An entire stick of butter soaking the kernels. Potatoes were about butter or bacon grease. Toast about the butter. Starches have pretty much no taste which is why we either load them with fat or sugar to consume them.

So nuts are very high quality food for my WOE. High fat to protein ratio, some fiber, moderately low or low glycemic and they taste good. The ketogenic diet is a high fat, moderate protein and low glycemic diet.

The problem is like most high fat foods, they have a lot of calories. So whether it's a culinary nut, dairy product, or animal flesh, I have to be careful about portion control. And I admit, after 14 years of low-glycemic eating, portion control is still a challenge. It's fun to eat stuff that tastes good!

And that includes the subject of this thread. Peanuts!

Bob