View Single Post
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 15:04
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Remarkably enough I got my results back today, the day I had my blood drawn. They probably thought they needed to rush the results to the doctor.

My total, LDL and HDL have all gone up, and my triglycerides have come down. Here are the numbers with all my old results as well.

.........3/04....7/04....11/04...3/05...6/06
Total...215.....273.....294.....276.....352
LDL.....125.....173.....192.....163.....240
HDL......71......69.......73.......92.....100
Tri.......94......153.....146.....105......62

My total/HDL is still below 4 (3.52)
and LDL/HDL is less than 3 (2.4)
But the numbers seem scary.

The first set of numbers from 3/04 were before I started LC, and are very indicative of what my cholesterol numbers had been for years.

I have been taking Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin E, and Flush-free Niacin. My doctor suggested that the niacin probably helped to reduce my triglycerides, and to keep taking them. I buy Flush-free Niacin at Target (500mg), take 1 twice a day (for a total of 1000mg/day).

She told me that I should stop taking the fish oil and Vitamin E and have my cholesterol checked again in 3 months. The other suggestion was to start me out on a baby-dose of Lipitor (10mg) and recheck my lipids and liver function. I told her that I would stop taking the fish oil and Vitamin E, and recheck in three months. I do not want to take statins.

I think that I will also see about getting the particle size of my LDL checked. I gave the doctor some information about this technology, and all she said was that they don't do the test. I guess I will have to have it done on my own, or see if I can get the company to help me have my insurance pay for it. Luckily there is a company that does the test close to me.

I was also thinking I might stop eating any dairy (except a small amount of cream for my coffee). Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I have done some research, but I think I need to do some more. I want to believe that my LDL is not a concern. And I want to have enough data to support my view, so that I can rationally explain my position to my doctor, and my family (mother is a nurse and has said I should take the drugs that doctors want to give me).

Any opinions would be appreciated.