#27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-06, 09:24
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

CitrusKiss:
Whew, I was trying to find where I had read about marinating steaks to reduce AA, thinking it was in Protein Power Lifeplan, but it was in Protein Power.

First off, they recommend that you trim all the visible fat from steaks. And that grilling steaks can reduce the AA in beef by about 35%.

The method for marinating a steak to reduce AA also starts with trimming visible fat. Place the steak in a large resealable plastic bag along with a mixture of 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of olive oil or light sesame oil (or any other oil, as long as it doesn't contain alpha-linoleic acid). Allow the meat to marinate in the refrigerator for a full 24 hours, flipping the bag and contents several times. Take the steak out, drain it for an hour or so, discard the marinade. Rub the beef with some pepper or other spices, then grill it.

The wine acts as a solvent to leach out a fair amount of saturated fat in the steak (also taking the AA in the fat with it), which is replaced in part with the olive oil.

You can use this technique with roasts as well. Although the reduction in AA isn't as good as with the steak, because of roasting versus grilling.

** Sorry about my mistake, it is red wine, not wine vinegar.

And egnue:
I should be having my blood work done on Tuesday, and the doctor thought the results would be back by the end of the week.

I think my advice for you would echo what other's here have said and that is to stick to eating LC for a good period of time (a few months) before getting re-tested.