Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 22:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Losing it

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
I've never tried the Atkins diet, but I did go on the Bernstein diet which I don't think is fundamentally different. I have found that you have to be quite regimented in what you eat and how you go about it. The benefit of going to Bernstein is that its medically supervised and there is very good instruction on what to eat.

Unfortunately, Pete, this is not the case. As you indicated, you have not tried Atkins; it is very different from the Bernstein Diet Clinic (not to be confused the the Dr. B Diabetic Solution).

Atkins does not suggest low fat - low fat and low carb do not work well together as a way of life (WOL) LCing should be something that can be sustained for the remainder of our lives. Too rapid weight loss results in muscle loss - there is no way around it. You can only lose so much fat a week. Muscle loss results in lowered metabolism. I work too hard for my muscle to jeopardise it.

Atkins advocates high fat (higher than many LC plans) and adequate protein with very restricted carbs (under 20g to start). You might want to take a look at our plan comparison page (located in the right margin under "Which LC plan is right for me?") for a synopsis of DANDR and various other LC plans available to you.

Calories are counted on Atkins - but only in an effort to ensure enough are eaten. Undereating is something we've tried -- and look where it got us.

Nat