Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo
I'm 18 years old, female, and you wouldn't know it by looking at my lipid profile,
I'm pretty happy for the results. My total cholesterol is high, but I'm not worried at all.

Capo,
Why should you be worried? You are 18 years old female!!!!!!!You have plenty of estrogen to keep your artheries smooth and flexible, so if there is any cholesterol plaque, they will expend to accomodate it. Your high level of estrogen is indeed protective of heart desease at this age, but the picture is different for menopausal and post-menop women who lost their estrogen-protective quality. The artheries no longer are smooth and flexible, and no longer they expand to let blood flow freely. Existing plaque starts to harden and artheries start to constrict in response to estrogen drop. Here is when high LDL may become a problem. BTW, TGR <150 is normal, only 1/5 of TGR are part of the cholesterol calculation. LDL is hard to keep low on high fat diet. LDL around 200 may be fine for you, but I won't be happy with high LDL at my age.
ETA: I have calaculated your total to HDL ratio for all 3 lab results, which I rounded to one SF:
1) 3.3
2) 3.0
3) 3.2
AS you can see the ratio is the same, actually your previous test shows a little lower CHo/HDL ratio that your last one.
PPl get ecstatic when their HDL goes up on LC diet, but they forget that both HDL and LDL rise proportionally and in many cases, LDL raises disproportionally while HDL is not much so.
I see same trend with my CHO, the more sat.fat I eat, the higher is LDL and total and HDL raises 10-15 % too, but not enough to give me better ratio. It does have a lot to do with my age and dropping estrogen indeed but in general older folks IMO need to be carefull.
JMO