View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default useless b****** doctors!

Well - I went to the docs today. Hmmmm. She says that with my test results (high-normal TSH, low-normal T4, below normal T3) they wouldn't normally treat me. The doctor that gave me the thyroxine (50mcgs) wasn't happy about it. She said that they would have put me on 25mcgs at the most.
So, she wasn't a bit happy when I told her that 3 weeks on 50mcg had done nothing so I'd upped it to 100mcg and was just beginning to feel a bit happier.
She wanted to prescribe me 50 again. So I objected. She has written me 1 months prescription for 100 but says she is having a meeting with the partners about me and they may revoke it.

So - they wouldn't have treated me! How far off the 'normal' range do you have to be to get treated. If they'd done anything, they'd have put me onto such a low dose it wouldn't have done anything, then when it didn't they'd have concluded it couldn't be my thyroid. She says that the doctor who originally saw me doesn't think its my thyroid (hello, my TSH is elevated and my T3 is off the bottom of the range, as well as having all the symptoms).
Never mind that I feel rotten. It's not usual to treat people like me so I can stay ill as far as they're concerned. They're so concerned not to do anything out of the ordinary, they're failing to treat. They think we'll sue them if they go out on a limb and get it wrong. Well, I'll be thinking of sueing them for not treating me!

Anyway, the upshot is that I've booked a private consultation with a thyroid expert who is recommended on the ThyroidUK website. It'll cost more than I've got to spend, but maybe if he says what's going on, they'll listen and I can get the Armour or whatever on the NHS.
Thing is, the appointment isn't until the end of November. So my thyroxine will have run out before then. If they won't give me any more I'll just buy it on the internet until he sees me. Or I'll buy the equivalent dose of Armour and see how it goes. At least I'll be seeing a doctor who can tell me if I'm right or not, so its not as dangerous as just dosing myself without anyone knowing.
Sponsored Links