Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Re: Oh Yea!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruralgurl
When I got married I wanted to stay safe. (My poor husband) I think subconsciously the fat is one big protective layer and YES when the layers start to thin I feel very vulnerable.

I think you hit upon an important issue for many of us. I know that on some level I like the fact that my fat protects me from being sexually attractive to men other than my husband. My husband, of course, wants a wife who other men do find attractive. I tried to explain this to him a few years ago and he just did not get it.

I come from a family where marriages did not last very long or were unhappy if they did. I also have a personal history that makes me scared of having men find me sexy. I've been happily married for 20 years and I love my husband more than I ever imagined I could love anyone -- why do I worry that would be threatened if I lost weight? I must say that one of the things that is keeping me going is that I keep telling myself that I am 45 years old, and therefore, even if I lose all this weight, most men are unlikely to find me sexy.

I'm not at the point where I really have to deal with this yet, but I expect I will at some time in the next year or so. The whole idea scares me, but I think that by facing up to it I will not let it sabotage me. I am prepared to get counseling about this if necessary; I will not let it stop me from getting thin.