View Single Post
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:27

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread. When I first started it, I had a vague idea in my mind that it might draw half a dozen light-hearted anecdotes about people's experiences which have demonstrated how we are viewed "in the eyes of others" and that such stories would provide a little entertainment and light relief. Instead, it has led to quite an outpouring, and has obviously touched a raw nerve with many members. It has also developed unexpectedly into an examination of our own feelings and motives about weight loss, with some surprising results. Most shockingly of all, it has revealed some inexcusable human rights abuses which have been inflicted on our members (taking away someone's plate of food while they are eating, and telling them that to watch them eat food makes the perpetrator feel sick surely ranks as one of these) and a considerable amount of abuse, harrassment and offensive behaviour.

In spite of all these abuses, the members here are as nice a bunch of people as you could ever wish to meet anywhere. They will help you selflessly, give support when you need it, reassure, cajole and understand your needs. On the other hand, the perpetrators of these abuses we have heard about here are not fit to lick the boots of any of you, and I hope that if Kassy loses her weight and gets invited next year, she will tell her boss what to do with his offer!

I have one point to add about our motives for taking up this way of eating. When I first did this five years ago, I could have argued with myself about the true reasons for doing it, as some have done here. This time, I had no choice. I was told by a doctor that I had to lose weight. So I offer this crumb of comfort to anyone who has been unsettled by the debate about motives. Don't beat yourself up questioning or defending your motives for doing it. It is quite likely that if you did nothing, there would not be the luxury of a choice. A medical condition would sooner or later force the decision upon you whether you wanted it or not. Seen in this light, I think any member now worrying whether they have a secret agenda to please some third party by losing this weight, should reassure themselves that it is not eventually a question of choice, but a matter of medical necessity. I do hope that makes someone feel better.

Andy