View Single Post
  #93   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 11:20

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I apologize to the rest of the community for replying in public. Usually, I would reply to GirlGeek's question privately, but she is unable to receive private messages at this time.

I guess I should always include the disclaimer "Results not typical. Individual result will vary." when I post my weight loss. If I am a poster child for low-carb eating, it is because my metabolic type(1) is well-suited for this type of eating, not because I did anything other than adhere to the low-carb guidelines. It's clear that people's results vary greatly on this WOE, and some people even suffer when they try it. Therefore, the particulars of my food and exercise plans may not work well for others.

With those disclaimers out of the way, I don't think I have any secrets. I just follow the dietary guidlines rigorously. I started out following the Eades' Protein Power plan, at intervention level, purist style (except for the occasional protein bar). I did not exercise at all for the first six weeks I was on the plan; I could handle only so much change at once.

I adapted the eating plan to my metabolic type at this point. My diet is now 65-70% fat. A diet this high in fat is probably not appropriate for most low-carb eaters. Even I was uneasy about eating this much fat at first, until I saw the results and I read the metabolic typing book.

I also started walking on a treadmill at the six-week mark, just 20 minutes at 2.5 mph. I've built up the duration and intensity of the treadmill routine since then. I just recently started doing resistance training, and I'm not very far along.

If I have any secrets, it's mostly the inspiring example of my mother and my fear of Type II diabetes. Perhaps another is that I don't feel deprived, hungry, or anxious when I follow this WOE. Those have always been my downfalls before. Those factors make the discipline required -- making practically all of my food at home (from scratch), exercising regularly -- possible for me. I also participate in support forums like these. They help me keep my focus, get support and information, and support others. It just an electronic variation of hanging out with a crowd that supports you and knows what you're going through, based on having been there themselves.

As to cheating on the diet, I do, about once every 10 days. Since I (a) fill up quickly, and (b) have strong, sudden hunger, I usually make sure to have a healthy snack (hard-boiled egg, meatloaf) with me at all times. I also carry gum. Still, when I'm very tired, I still turn to food to cope. But these days, I'll binge on nuts, avocado, and whatever protein is around, not chips and cookies.

(1)Harold Kristal, DDS, and James Haig, NC. The Nutrition Solution: A Guide to Your Metabolic Type.