View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 11:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

There is also the matter of insulin resistance.I started of this WOE with a goal to stay under 30 net carbs. Several months into the diet I started using a blood glucose meter. I was surprised to learn that I was still quite carb sensitive even 9 months into the diet. I was checking my blood sugar after meals and I could still get BG spikes (above 150) from an 8 to 10 carb meal. I then lowered my net carbs to less than 20 for a few months and started experimenting with intermittent fasting. That seemed to do the trick with resolving (or at least greatly improving) my insulin resistance. Since that time - and as I approached my goal weight - I've added back more carbs and my blood sugar rarely exceeds 100 - even after a 20 net carb meal.

My point here is that there is a healing effect from keeping your carbs (and therefore your BG & insulin levels) very low. It also makes staying in control a lot easier. I was more consistent with my eating when I kept my food choices limited and the carbs low. I went to < 50 net carbs in maintenance and I've had some trouble maintaining. I'm trying to dial that back and find the right balance.