View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 08:49

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

I have no thyroid issues, am not menopausal, and am 5ft 11 with a VERY considerable amount to lose.

On regular induction, with <20g carbs per day, a limit on dairy, and calories at 1500-1700, I could barely, and I mean BARELY lose 5 lbs per month.

I am now for the last month on NO cheese, NO cream, NO seeds, NO nuts, and carbs <10g total per day, and mostly just from pickles, cucumbers, or a couple of radishes, NO artificial sweeteners, NO diet soda, NO lc "treats" of any kind, and on a TOTAL hard limit of 1200 kcal per day. That is, the choices are: egg, or some other protein, and a very small <5g vegetable as a condiment. And I MAY hit 8 lbs loss this month, instead of 5 lbs.

Did I mention I'm 5ft 11, and that I have A LOT to lose?

I think that is as strict as anyone can go, bar <1000 kcal a day, meat only. And I've done that before, too.

I think it's not just a question of men's higher basal rate. As a species, men are not genetically programmed to hold on to fat as easily as women are.

That doesn't mean that men can't get fat, but women, even hormonally, provide a more accommodating genetic environment in which fat can accumulate.

That will partially be due to the fact that women are genetically programmed to be healthy and "strong" enough to carry babies, and to feed them all.

"Healthy and strong enough" genetically, I think also very easily translates to "easier to gain weight, and more difficult to lose it", for all of the forgoing reasons.

Sure, men can get AND stay fat.... but there is a lot more going on than just higher muscle mass resulting in a higher basal rate. Although, sure that helps a lot, too!

But the aggregate totality of all differing factors between men and women is what makes the total end results differ, even if exactly proportional amounts of equal "effort" put in could be measured.