Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Thanks for the warning & an idea

Hi there,
Thanks for the warning - I always wondered if this system would make us hypersensitive to starch & sugar, because our bodies get accustomed to not having to process it.

So my suggestion is that the oatmeal eaten without a lot of other foods might be the problem.

I had gestational diabetes and had to test my blood sugar after every meal. When I was first trying to get my numbers under control, I found that oatmeal would make my blood sugar go right up - especially if I added blueberries or other fruit.

I then read the advice at www.Mendoza.com & what he said about the overall glycemic load of a meal made sense. I now occaisionally will have oatmeal, but my breakfasts are always a combination of food.

I only eat oatmeal if I've eaten protien or vegetables (e.g. left over dinner from the night before, or a handful of mini-carrots). I vary the breakfasts I have - an omelette with cheese & piles of vegetables if I have time, or toast with peanut butter & celery stick and an apple, if I'm in a hurry. I make sure I get enough complex carbohydrates, by eating them with lunch and dinner.

Also, is your oatmeal the fast cooking kind? My mother has a different book & her's says oatmeal has to be slow cooking to be low GI.

I think it's very important to eat enough food (regardless of calories). When I stalled temporarily I found that eating a lot of very low GI food (raw vegetables, protein and fat) really got my metabolism going.

Good luck in getting back on track & please keep us updated. It's scary to think that the system might stop working for us, if we stray off it too much. I hope that proves not to be the case.