View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-18, 19:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mr T, I can relate. As a teenager, my drug of choice was the carefully-planned TV shows + junk food. I went cold-turkey off it when I moved out to go to school, couldn't afford cable, and was too busy studying anyway.

If you dare, consider giving up TV. There's something about that passive state that's just bad for us impulsive snackers. If you don't want to give it up completely, at least give up channel-surfing and set limits. If there isn't something on that you know you want to see, keep it turned off and do something else. If you're watching on demand, maybe watch while you're eating dinner? Or a time when eating at the same time doesn't work?

The "doing something else" for me is usually sitting here in front of the computer. I don't want to gunk it up, so I'm not going to snack while I'm doing it. Plus, it's hard to eat and type at the same time. Ditto with using my iPad. I'll play games, read (Kindle app), or whatever. Not conducive to eating at the same time.

DH and I have one remaining TV-ish indulgence and it's sports. When I'm watching (half-watching) a game, I like to knit. There are enough ads/time-outs/whistles/pitching changes/etc. Take up knitting, or something else you can do with your hands while you watch.

I totally agree with Ken that sticking with LC snacking is still better than going off plan. After a while, my brain started to make the connection that there's no buzz to be had off LC snacks... at least the ones I had. And without that chemical reward, it just started to become less appealing. "Hey, there are almonds and you could eat them!!" "Yeah, but then you have to pick them out of your teeth, and they don't even taste that great."

Congrats on your success so far... you're on the right track.