#5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 06:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
For those of us who don't have the book yet, but currently have a family member with Alzheimer's, can you give us the basics of how hormone levels, gut health, and sleep patterns affect Alzheimer's, and what diet and lifestyle changes he's recommending?

That's kind of a tall order. The foundation is a low carb ketogenic diet, healing inflammation and leaky gut, sleeping 7-8 hours a night using melatonin if necessary to achieve it, stress reduction, normalizing hormones, exercise, all the usual culprits. The devil is in the details. You can read his original published paper here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1a2e...3143356f415.pdf

The place to start is with a low carb moderately ketogenic diet.

He also suggests at least a 12 hour fasting window daily, optimally 14-16 hours.

Dr Bredesen calls his approach personalized medicine. He identifies 3 different causes for Alzheimers. He suggests doing a whole slew of testing so that the recommendations can be individualized to the specific person. You really have to read the book to take in all the permutations of his approach, but as I said low carb moderately ketogenic with a 12-16 hour daily fasting window is the foundation. Unless someone has incredible insurance the cost of all the tesing would be prohibitive for most of us I imagine. Still there is a lot of good information in the book but it needs to be read. Summarizing it is beyond my skill set. Plus I just got the book yesterday so I have hardly absorbed it all.

Jean