View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 14:03

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 160/152/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
But there's no agreement on what healthy food even is.

Yeah, I know, so step 0 would have to be that the government would adopt my understanding of what healthy food is.

My kids' elementary school had a 'no candy/junk food' policy. But they couldn't enforce it because if they confiscated candy, the parent would complain that the school had taken away their child's 'food'. However, a group of enterprising parents did manage to get chocolate milk removed from the cafeteria. I don't know what the current status is. Maybe by now another group has counter-petitioned to get it back on. The other horrible thing is just the sheer amount of food waste going on. And it's often the relatively good food that is thrown away. One smart thing the school did was to take all the fruit no one ate at breakfast, slice it up, and serve it at recess. By then all the kids who had only eaten the breakfast 'cookie', (which gets nothing but scorn from me for the disgusting concoctions these companies devise to be able to claim to be meeting federal guidelines, and for instilling in children the idea that a cookie is a healthy breakfast) were hungry and had no other options, unless their parents had conspired to provide them with candy.

My schools, forty years ago, didn't have vending machines either. But there was ice cream for sale in the cafeteria, at least in middle school and up. And of course teens can sometimes walk somewhere local to get junk food. I'm fine with that. I just don't want the school to be providing it.