BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Ok here it is...

Vitamin D 25 hydroxy is 31
Vitamin D 3 hydroxy is 31
Vitamin D 2 hydroxy is < 4

What do I do.... how much should I take and whats the D2 mean?
the D2 is ergocalciferol.
The < means less than
4 is probably the lowest reliable amount the test identifies so as it's below the reliable indicator it's not worth counting. So it's not been added to the 25 Hydroxy total otherwise if it had been = 4 they would have added it and your 25(OH)D number would be 35.

So you are 31
You want to be 55
you need 55-31=24more
each 1,000iu/day should raise status 10ng Editted I typed too many zero's
so 2400iu/d should be sufficient BUT
people at lower levels raise status more on 1000iu than people who are moderate So maybe take a bit more to be sure.
Also think of the time of year and where you live and if UVB from sun reaches the ground when you are outdoors? the calculator will help you find out how long you need to be outside to make just 1000iu.

As it is likely that you will get no vitamin D from sun until next March it's probably better to assume all the 55ng/ml has to come from supplements (I'm assuming you don't visit a tanning studio twice weekly?)

So I would suggest 5000iu/daily and retest in Feb/March to see if you have found that sufficient. 31ng/ml is quite a good score for someone who has only had trivial supplements before maybe you've had a good summer holiday or plenty of time outdoors.

Ideally in Feb/March you will be nearer 60ng/ml and may then be able to think about just taking one 5000iu every other day or perhaps 4 x 5000iu every week. But if you still haven't got above 50ng/ml then you will need to increase the amount you take or continue as you are but be more aware of the need to get extra from sunshine and whenever possible expose as much skin as possible without ever getting sunburnt.