View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 12:30

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

My experience with PP is I need BOTH fat and protein for it to work properly. However, it’s like exercise to eat all that protein a day. What I mean by that is you have to work at it, be conscious of it, and keep track of it. It’s not easy at first because you may not be that hungry in the beginning, but you still have to get that protein consumed some how. For me I try to use creative ways, like whey powder added to my low carb milk and beef jerky snacks, and sausage snacks and ANYTHING with protein that is a finger food that I can just eat, but does not have too many carbs. Really be careful with cheese though, it can be the thing you grab the most because it is easy but you are getting more fat than protein, and this can stall your weight loss if its too much, without other sources of protein to balance it. Also I never eat veggies or fruit without at least some sort of protein. While they don't add to my weight, it has stalled my progress when I have eaten them excessively and not gotten enough protein with that meal.

I will say when I first started PP I found trying to consume enough protein as one of the most challenging parts of this diet and what set it apart from Atkins. However, it worked so much better for me than Atkins. But I feel like I am eating ALL the time, and I probably am. I eat between 1500-1600 calories a day at least six times a day. If I go below 1400 calories and I don’t lose a bit, and I can not go above 1650 unless I cheat because I can not eat all that meat in a day, I just get really tired of meat if I try.

I would venture to say that this is a metabolism issue. The less you eat the more your body goes into starvation mode and begins to conserve fuel. The more you eat, especially protein, the more you are telling your body that it is safe to burn fuel. I remember the Eades talking about this in one of their books but I don’t remember which one, probably the first one since that is the one I first used when I began this WOE. I know now they push not eating too many calories, but I just can’t lose on 1400 calories or less a day.