#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:55
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Oven-Fried Okra

This little experiment came out quite good. Link to photo: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...n-fried-okra-2/ It comes out of the oven crisp, but as with all fried okra, it doesn’t stay crisp for long, so bake these right before you plan to sit down and eat. If you’re looking for the taste of fried okra but want an easier preparation, you might prefer my Okra Fritters (click link to see those). This dish is Atkins Induction acceptable.

I have also done this with fresh, whole okra pods, slitting them several times lengthwise to speed cooking. The pic below lets you see how those come out:

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. sliced frozen okra, UNdefrosted (8 oz), or whole pods, slit

2 oz. crushed plain pork rinds

4 T. my homemade mayo

½ tsp. my Seafood Spice Blend (recipe below)

OPTIONAL: Pinch cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS: I think these cook best on a non-stick metal baking sheet. But if you don’t have one, lightly oil a regular sheet pan, or use parchment to line your pan. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A SILICONE SHEET on your pan or these will not brown and crisp up properly. Preheat oven to 450º. Crush pork rinds (I use a food processor). Using a slotted spoon or small sieve, discard any hard bits that didn’t crush finely. Pour into a medium bowl and add spice blend. Stir well. In a shallow dish or pie plate, pour the mayo. Making sure each piece of okra is separated, dip about ¼ of the okra into the mayo and coat well by turning each piece gently to coat on all sides. Lift the pieces out one at a time (I like to use my ice-bucket tongs for this) and drop into the rinds. Shake the bowl to coat the okra on all sides. Using tongs, lift each piece of okra onto the baking sheet. Repeat with the next ¼ of the okra, and so on until all is done. The reason you don’t want to put all the okra in the mayo at one time is it may not get uniform mayo coating, which is essential for the coating to stick to the okra. Pop into the hot oven for about 15-20 minutes, remove pan and turn each piece. Pop back into oven for another 10 minutes. Dip onto serving platter and eat at once or it will lose its crispness.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Make 4 servings. Each 2 oz. serving contains:

195 calories, 15.65 g fat, 4.35 g carbs, 1.25 g fiber, 3.1 g NET CARBS, 10 g protein, 268 mg sodium

Seafood Spice blend:

7 T. paprika

4 T. garlic powder

2 ½ T. crushed oregano

3 T. ground thyme

3 T. onion powder

2 T. black pepper

1 T. cayenne pepper

Mix well in a bowl and store the remaining part not used in this recipe in lidded jar. Use it on any seafood recipes and tuna or salmon casseroles.
Sponsored Links