Thread: Phase 2: OWL
View Single Post
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 06:30

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

The New Atkins for a New You has a good discussion of the carb ladder. They list the carbs in the ladder exactly as in Atkins 72 but expand on suggestions based upon their research findings. The excellent review of the carb ladder by cnmLisa is basic to all Atkins plans. The difference in NANY is how to experiment with the ladder. For example, if you find yourself not losing, or even gaining when you add cheeses, cut out all cheeses for a week. Go back to Induction. Then go up one rung in the ladder--try adding nuts instead of cheese (one kind of nuts to see if it is all nuts or that particular nut). See what happens that week. If you do not lose , or if you gain, go back to induction for a week or 2, then try the berry ladder--one kind of berry. It is a matter of self exploration to see what works for you.

What I found worked best for me was calculating total rather than net carbs. This way, I discovered just how sensitive I am to carbs and just what foods trigger gains/cravings. (Not losing is a constant, so I am more attentive to what makes me gain--which is very very easy to do.) It is a slow process.

It requires patience and perseverance. Our bodies are not calculators that respond instantly, much as we would like them to do. Remember age, gender and illness will also affect your weight loss progress.

I highly recommend you get NANY or Atkins 72 and read about the carb ladder for yourself rather than relying on what other people tell you. What works for them may not work for you. What they found helpful or useful may make no impression on you at all. Hearsay has never been useful as solid evidence.