View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 20:54

Plan: Keto/ProperHumanDiet
Stats: 154.0/120.0/120.0 Female  5'4"
BF:==%
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Starrunner

I used to cycle too along with my running...I haven't been on my bike this year since my surgery because of the neck thing...I'm feeling really good and all of my neuro symptoms are gone, I'm just taking things slowly so I don't over do..I did that at first just a few months postop and really paid for it. My shoulder and neck tendons and muscles were repositioned in the correct position after years of being scrunched I guess with the cervical fusion so if I overdo I feel it in those areas. I agree with you about running being such a stress reducer..I have a T shirt that says 'Running is cheaper than therapy...' I had to really get my nerve up to sign up for my first fun run since 2004. I started running/jogging again in winter of 2010, signed up for a 5k in February of 2011, it was cold and icy and snowy and the hub and I got soaking wet and cold but we were both so thrilled to have actually done it again. Then I did a 10k in May, and in Oct. of 2011 another 10k...so I'm trying to come back slowly now and the Galloway program is perfect for me. I've also been a Runner's World devotee for about 25 years, still getting the magazine even all those years I didn't run...love John Bingham, he's the original 'Penguin'....I read his 'Courage to Start' book this last year and loved it. I've recently discovered the wonderful people on Runner's World forums, namely the beginners forum and more specifically the 'Penguin' group. Check it out...I think you'll find as much motivation as I have from those wonderful people and I also get many chuckles reading everybody's posts...even tho it's the 'Beginner's' forum as people have progressed they've hung around and bonded with each other so you can get the wisdom from the former beginners who are now very experienced runners...they're all great and more than happy to advise if need be. Right now like you I'm a little gun shy about signing up for any fun runs this next year but maybe I'll feel differently in a few months...if I can not let it pressure me and just look at entering a run as pure fun and just relax I would love to do it again. Right now I'm just enjoying being out there....By the way I also lost my Dad in 1992...Running helped me get through that horrible event and other stressful events in the years following...
Hope you had a good day today...Meg